The Entrance Examination
The Entrance Examination for entry in September 2018 takes place on Friday 19th January 2018. The exam consists of nationally standardised tests in Verbal Reasoning, Non-Verbal Reasoning and Quantitative Reasoning completed digitally on a PC. There is also an English essay paper. The standardised tests allow us to gain an understanding of students' abilities, their likely academic potential and how they will face the challenges of the curriculum. No revision is required and the tests are not curriculum specific. We also include some fun group activities during the day as well as a tasty Westholme lunch!
In the weeks prior to the Entrance Examination the children will also be invited to have a ten minute interview with a member of Senior School staff and we will ask their Primary School for a reference. We aim to communicate the outcome of your application two weeks after the Entrance Examination day. Further details regarding the admissions process can be obtained from the Registrar, Miss Maria Galvin, on 01254 506070.
The Transition Afternoon and Evening
Westholme's Transition Afternoon and Evening for pupils starting in September typically takes place in the June prior to the start date.
- Don't worry if you are the only person from your Primary School - you'll soon meet other people in the same situation.
- Sixth Form prefects will meet you on the Car Park and bring you to the Theatre.
- You will learn which form you are in and will meet your Head of Year, Form Teacher and classmates.
- You will have 'taster lessons'.
- There will be older students and teachers around to help you.
- You will have a buffet tea together and then participate in some outdoor activities, if the weather is good.
- After tea, you will spend some time with your Form Teacher in your own Form Room. You will sit at the desk which will be yours next year.
- You will be able to exchange addresses with other students in the form so that you can keep in touch over the holidays.
- During the time when you are in the Form Room, your parents will arrive. They will come into the Theatre to hear some important information.
- Your Form Teacher will bring you across to the Theatre to see the uniform Fashion Show.
- At the end, you will be able to take your parents across to the Bungalow to show them your Form Room and you will also have the opportunity to speak to key staff members about the move into Year 7.
First Day of Term
Year 7 have an Induction Day in September the day before the rest of the School return. This is so that you have the opportunity to 'find your feet' before the rest of the students return the following day. The school coaches do not run on this day so your parents will need to drop you off and pick you up - we will send them more information nearer the time.
Here are some members of Year 7 on their first day outside the Bungalow. The Bungalow houses the Year 7 Form Rooms so you will spend about half of your week in there with the other members of Year 7. You will soon feel at home in the Bungalow but you will also have lessons in some of the other classrooms around school.
Well done - you are now a Westholmer!
Hopefully this information will have answered any questions you may have. However, if you have any other queries about joining Westholme Senior School, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Principal - Mrs L Horner
Registrar - Miss Maria Galvin